Congratulations! You’ve made the commitment to lace up your sneakers and run.
Running alongside thousands of people can be a pretty unique experience. And, whether this is your first big race or your 50th marathon, here are six simple runner etiquette tips that will help you and your fellow runners get the most out of your experience.
- Share your space. At most races wide open spaces are at a premium, and you’ll need to share your space. Be aware of the people around you, and your surroundings
- Look before you pass. It’s common for runners to jockey for position, pass slower runners, etc. Before leaving your personal lane, be sure to first check to either side of you. That way, you’ll avoid colliding with someone and possibly ending that person’s race prematurely. This is especially true if you’re going to stop or slow down for a water station. And if you’re going to pass someone, announce “on your left” or “on your right” to let them know.
- Thank the volunteers. There would be no race without volunteers! So every opportunity you get, thank them. It means the world to them, and will keep them coming back next year!
- Spit down. Yes, it sounds gross, but it’s pretty common to spit when you’re running. And when you’re bunched together with thousands of other runners, it’s easy to accidentally expectorate on someone’s shoes or shirt. A good solution: Spit in front of you and down, not to the side. Just avoid the sneakers of the person in front of you.
- Keep moving through the finish. When you finish the race, the first thing you’ll likely want to do is stop running. It’s only natural! But as there are others behind you, keep walking forward, following the instructions of the finish line volunteers. Plus, you’ll get your finisher’s medal sooner.
- Smile and have fun. And the ladies of Run All The Races would add: Take a lot of photos of your smiling face!
Thanks for following along –
Perfectly Goofy Gail
Any questions, please reach out to us at email@example.com. We’re happy to help!
Have you checked out our Podcast? Give us a listen and let us know what you think: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/run-all-the-races/id1078046216?mt=2
Perfectly Goofy Gail, Delightful Dopey Kimberly, PhotoBomb Becca & California Kiley
COUNTDOWN TO NEXT runDisney RACE WEEKEND: Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend
Meet Perfectly Goofy Gail
Perfectly Goofy Gail began getting active in 2005 with the goal of getting out of the house and loosing some weight... more
Meet Delightfully Dopey Kimberly
Delightfully Dopey Kimberly began running in 2008 with the single goal of crossing “running a marathon” off her bucket list... more
Meet PhotoBomb Becca
Meet California Kiley
California Kiley as you can probably guess hails from sunny Southern California... more