Cigna, the major sponsor of both Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend and the Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend routinely welcomes a number of runDisney bloggers to an event at each of these marque race weekends.
This was the second time the ladies of Run All The Races were invited to join some fellow runDisney fan bloggers at one of Cigna’s special events.
Check out the video below to see what we got up to when they let us loose in the Napa Rose kitchen…
Participants were separated into 4 groups and given the opportunity to get hands-on making a complete healthy meal (that we got savor and share with everyone). All of the Napa Rose Culinary Team spoke to the fact that dishes at the signature restaurant routinely change to reflect what fruits and vegetables are in season and locally available. Chefs love to shop at their local Farmer’s Market, and so should you!
Station 1: Salad Course [Mixed Greens with Berries and Fresh Vinaigrette]
I got to try my hand at being a Sous Chef at this station. I can whisk with the best of them, if you ask me. Here we made two versions of a light vinaigrette dressing so that we could taste the difference between sweetening with honey or sugar.
Station 2: Main Course [Roasted Chicken with Kale Pesto and Roasted Vegetables]
Chef de Cuisine Chris shared with us how to prepare a whole chicken for roasting (man, I really need to invest is some better kitchen knives to do this at home without injury). It was amazing to watch, but I’ll just leave that fancy knife work to our local butcher – that’s safer for everyone. And when he said he was going to make pesto from kale I have to admit that I was skeptical – I’m not a member of the kale fan club. But I can admit when I’m wrong – it was wonderful! Tasted like regular pesto while still having the nutritional value that comes with the addition of kale. #Winning
Station 3: Fruit and Dessert [Fruit Crisp]
We made a peach crisp as part of our demonstration, but you can still get a taste of the sweet side of Napa Rose by making their signature Apple Crisp. Trust me, this is just as good and comes with a much more thorough recipe (I was too busy at the event drooling to get everything down in my notes…). We also got the opportunity to try some less familiar fruits such as Cotton Candy Grapes (yep – tasted just like it) and Cape Goose Berries dipped in white chocolate (almost too pretty to eat…almost).
Station 4: Smoothies
Since the restaurant was full of runDisney athletes, the bar stop focused on the healthier side of frozen things made in blenders… Here’s a chance to make the yummy healthy options the fantastic Napa Rose Culinary Team shared with us in your home kitchen:
Pre-Workout Crunchy Coffee Cocoa Smoothie
- 1 cup crushed ice
- 1/2 cup chilled coffee (a great way to use the rest of yesterday’s pot – just chill overnight)
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar (this is a great low glycemic, vegan, and gluten free sugar substitute)
- 1/2 cup almond milk (you can substitute other types of milk if you have as allergy or preference)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted almond slivers (skip if you have a nut allergy)
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 frozen bananas (be sure to take the peel off before freezing)
- Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth
Post-Workout Blueberry Cactus Pear Smoothie
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 1/4 cup raw rolled oats
- 1 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup cactus pear (the fruit of the prickly pear cactus – this may be hard to find, you might need to try a specialty grocery like Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods)
- 1/2 cup plain unsweetened Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup soy milk (you can substitute other types of milk if you have an allergy or preference)
- Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth
And just for good measure (and your after runDisney race celebration) here’s the recipe for Napa Rose’s Bitter Storm cocktail. #DrinkAllTheDrinks
- 3/4 ounce Bulleit Bourbon
- 3/4 ounce Fernet-Branca
- 1/2 ounce Cherry Heering liqueur
- 1/2 ounce Poire William brandy
- 1/2 ounce Orgeat syrup
- 3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice
- Grapefruit peel, for garnish
- Pour all ingredients into a shaker; fill with ice and vigorously shake for 30 seconds
- Strain into a tall chilled classed filled with ice. Garnish with grapefruit peel.
Make sure to check out Delightfully Dopey Kimberly’s take on our cooking prowess here. There’s a funny story about forgetting what time zone we were in 😉
Want to hear about the Inaugural Cigna Blogger Meet-Up during the 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend…
What is your favorite healthy meal? Share the recipe in the comments below!
Any questions, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re happy to help!
Have you checked out our Podcast? Give us a listen and let us know what you think: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/run-all-the-races/id1078046216?mt=2
Perfectly Goofy Gail, Delightful Dopey Kimberly, PhotoBomb Becca & California Kiley